Sunday, May 15, 2011

Transitions

After a weekend filled with family, friends, and graduation celebrations, I'm back in Little Rock. There were so many wonderful moments this weekend--it's always such a treasure to spend time with my family because it seems we're rarely all in one place. My Grandma Bostwick from Arizona even made the trip to Fayetteville for the event. I'm going to take a moment here to brag on her because she's such an inspiration to me--if I'm able to become half the woman she is, I'll consider myself a success. She raised five children single-handedly after her husband passed away when her youngest children (my dad and his twin) were two. She then returned to college and pursued a degree in art education. She's now a fiber artist and her work has been featured at the Butler Institute of American Art in Ohio. Check out her website if you're interested. I am so grateful for everyone in my family--I'd brag on all of them if space allowed. I love all of you who are reading!

Me and my two wonderful friends, Sarah Griffis and Katie Russell, at Sarah's graduation party on Saturday.
We met on a study abroad trip to London after freshman year of college.


Mom, Grandma, Dad and I after the Honors Commencement on Friday.
God has continued to bless the support-raising process. Again, I don't have the words to express how much your prayers are appreciated, and I wish I could just write pages about all of the amazing conversations God has blessed me with over the last week. I already have so many wonderful stories of unexpected generosity. I am learning so much about God and His character through these conversations and experiences--even in just the last few weeks.

Something I've realized about myself, especially in college, is that I really love to be in control. I'm one of those people who loves my planner (and, yes, I do sometimes use pens and sticky notes and other things to color-coordinate). I like to have a plan and to know exactly how that plan will unfold. I love the security of stability. However, surrendering your life to Christ means surrendering control, and I'm beginning to learn what this means in a very tangible way. God is my provider and He will meet my needs according to His plans, not my own. Though I might, at times, feel that I have control over a given situation, the reality is that I do not really have much control at all...God is a very big God, and I'm a very finite person. Many times in making appointments to meet with people about prayer or financial support for Italy, my schedule has been rearranged. I'll wake up with my agenda, expecting to talk to certain people, and my plans change completely. And yet, despite all of the changes, God provides. He doesn't need me to do His work, He lovingly allows me to join in the process. Why not just rest and lean on Him, glorifying Him by enjoying His goodness? Control is, I'm beginning to realize, overrated.

Another lesson I'm learning has to do with being fully present in the present. In other words, living where I am right now and not viewing the time between now and going to Italy as a means to an end. The process is a crucial part of the experience. God has so many things to show me and others here and now, and preoccupation with the future will rob me of sweet moments here in the present. A Jim Eliot quote on this topic has always impressed me-- "Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God. "

Again, your prayers are an incredible blessing and they are working. I recently heard a sermon about the importance of prayer and I'll never forget one thing the pastor said--"Preparation without prayer runs ahead of God."That being said, here are a few prayer points for Italy:
  • Praise and thank God for His provision!! Support has continued to come in. I have a little over 25% of my one-time needs in hand!
  • Pray that God would continue to provide--pray for full support by August 1. Pray especially that God would provide committed monthly supporters. 
  • Pray for my transition from Fayetteville to Little Rock. This week, I'll begin contacting and meeting with people in my hometown. 
  • Continue to pray for my STINT team (two girls from LSU, two girls from England, and a couple from Oklahoma) and for the students in Italy--especially those in Bologna. Pray for the staff members who are already in Bologna (Jesse and Tricia Marcos and the Phipps family).
Ciao, and know that I am praying for you! Also, here's a video about ministry in Italy that you might find interesting. And, I think I've told many of you about the documentary, Beyond the Gates of Splendor....watch it here : )

Elizabeth
John 10:10





No comments:

Post a Comment