Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One year ago yesterday...

... I was writing my first blog post. I've always shied away from blogging--part of me feels a little exposed writing to an audience I can't completely control. It's a little like publishing parts of a personal journal. But, sometimes I think there are things other people can benefit from reading. So, my prayer is that at least one person has gotten one thing out of this blog. Then I'll consider the whole thing worth it.

 A year ago yesterday, I had just gotten back from a weekend conference to learn more about raising support. God had begun to realign my paths, closing and opening doors that I would not have had the courage to close and open myself. I was excited but scared. What followed was a simultaneously challenging and incredible summer. I was privileged to conversations with friends and acquaintances that I would never have in a "normal" context--I got to see people's hearts from a different angle, I learned lessons even the most gifted people couldn't teach, and I watched God provide in a way that far exceeded both my needs and expectations-- both financially and relationally.

Now, I don't want to misconstrue this whole experience as something that has been pain or challenge-free.  I have been humbled this year--realizing yet again just how dependent I really am on the Lord for everything. Just how capable He is of providing. Just how jealous He is for my attention.

But the benefits far outweigh the costs.

As I look back, I want to share one story with you that had a particularly powerful impact on me. Last summer, in the midst of raising support, I had an appointment with a family from my hometown. They had already readily volunteered to join my support team, but they wanted me to come and talk with them about Bologna and about my story anyway. I drove to their house one evening, and they greeted me with Italian cream cake and other desserts. We sat in their living room, and I started to tell my story and explain the situation in Bologna. Their daughter, a fifth grader, listened intently. It was so obvious from her expression that she was completely engaged in everything I was sharing. When I finished, she got up and left the room. I continued talking with her parents, answering questions and explaining more about Bologna. A few minutes later, their daughter reappeared. She approached me and held out her hands, eagerly offering me $17. "I want you to have this," she said. I tried to refuse, but her father intervened and encouraged me to take the money. I left their house that night humbled. I am convinced that the reason so many prayers have been answered in Bologna this year--the reason I am in Bologna this year--is because I have people like this behind me. How many of us are willing to trust and give like that? It's not so much about the amount we give as it is about the heart we give with. Why we do what we do. Scripture calls us to a childlike faith. The older we get, the easier it becomes to complicate something that was intended to be simple. That donation was the biggest donation I got all summer.

On a similar note, a student on campus the other day started asking about how we (our STINT team) felt as we were coming to the end of this year-- what we had learned from our experience in Bologna, how our time here had impacted our faith, etc., etc. She made a comment in passing that typifies many UNIBO students' reactions to what we do..."...girls going to a different country for Jesus. You know, it's very cute...but maybe it seems a little bit silly."

I had to step back and think about that. And yes--it does seem silly, doesn't it? It's not really "logical." But, again, God's grace is kind of silly, too. Grace doesn't line up with our understanding of how the world works. Once again, it's radically different.

Just wanted to take this post to look back on a few things I've learned over the last year. We finished the half marathon in Trieste last weekend! It was a challenge but such a rewarding experience. Next week, one of my best friends (Paisley High) and her family are coming to Bologna. We've known each other since we were 5 years old, and it's hard to believe I've gone so long without seeing her! I have been blessed with an incredible friend in this girl--she's really more like a sister. She's been there for just about every significant event in my life. After almost 8 months overseas, I am so excited about seeing a familiar face so soon : ) Am I counting down the days until she arrives? Absolutely yes.


Paisley and I in college

Paisley and I in high school at prom about 5 years ago (crazy!--haha)


Prayer requests...

  • Please praise God for what He has done in this city this year. We have had conversations with somewhere around 200 students. Each of us meet regularly with at least one person to study scripture. We can now name students who know Christ and are growing in their relationship with Him. 
  • Please continue to pray for our team in our final few months here in Bologna. Pray that we will finish strong and for continued growth in students' relationships with the Lord. 
  • Please also pray for students we know to come to know Christ.
  • Continue to pray for next year's STINT team--that God would guide and provide. Pray also for the Bologna summer project, which will start on May 22. 
  • Please pray for a dinner we are hosting with some of our students on May 13 to plan for next year in Bologna.



No comments:

Post a Comment